Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I Can Have my Cake and Eat it Too!

This is my first time blogging. I have to admit I was skeptical about it, but I started reading other people's blogs and thought that I should blog too. I have a professor who told me that he doesn't understand how I can be a mother and go to law school. He also said there is no way that I can be successful my first five years going into practice and have a family. Well, I am here to say that I can have my cake and eat it too!

Why is it that when we have families, businesses do not want to hire women with children? One of my sorority sisters told me that in her job interview they asked her if she had a family. She told them that she did not and they were glad because they did not want to hire a woman with children. What does this say about the workplace?

There are not many women in law school, at least in the one I am attending who have a family and are full time. I am one of them. Yes, sometimes it's chaos and yes, sometimes I want to break down and cry, but I have a wonderful support system from my husband, family, and friends. One thing I wish I did have was someone to relate to for advice to tell me that it is okay to pursue my dreams of having a family and being an attorney. This is what I hope to achieve in my blog. I don't know if I will, but I hope to reach out to others who are going through the same situation I am.

So here's to the first of many blogs! Happy Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment